Photography TutorialHomeMicrophoneThings to consider when buying a camera Smartphone Camera guide Things to consider when buying Drones Comparison of drones Comparison of Camcorders with DSLR cameras Vlogging cameraBasicsExposure triangle Modes and scene modes White balanceTypes of Camera lens Focal length Metering Focus points and Focusing modeVideo editing tools on MAC Video editing tools on Windows Comparison of video editing tools Tips to make viral videos
audio recorders in filmingMicrophone is a transducer that converts the sound into electric signal via preamplifier. Electric signal is then converted into digital format and stored in various formats like .mp3, .wav etc
Microphones based on transducer typeThere are different types of microphones based on transducer type as mentioned below.
- Microphones based on directionality or polar pattern
- Omnidirectional – This type of microphone is sensitive to sound coming from all directions
- Bi-Directional – This type of microphone is sensitive to sound coming from only 2 directions
- Shotgun – This type of microphone is sensitive to sound coming from 1 direction with narrow region
Microphones based on connector type and useThere are different types of microphones based on connector type and the type of use as mentioned below.
- XLR Connector – To use XLR microphone with 3.5mm jack, you will need to buy the adapter like XLR(mono) to 3.5mm Stereo Converter (1k). You can buy XLR connector compatible microphones on Amazon India @ Samson R21 Dynamic Vocal Microphone (3.6k). These microphones are generally used for live performance and recording.
- 3.5mm Jack microphone – used in laptops, DSLR Cameras, Smartphones. Some laptops have single jack for headphone and microphone. So you need to buy the 3.5mm M to F/F Audio Splitter (0.5k). You can buy Rode VideoMicro Compact (5k) budget microphone for your DSLR Camera.
- USB Microphone – Used in laptops. Blue USB microphone (4k) is very popular.
- A lavalier microphone (It is also called as lav, lapel mic, clip mic, body mic, collar mic, neck mic) – You can buy Rode SmartLavPlus Lavalier Microphone (4.5k) for Smartphones. You can buy Boya Microphone (2k) which is compatible with laptop, phone and DSLR Cameras.
- Wireless (Radio) – You can buy Saramonic UwMIC9 (19k) or Rode RODELINKFM FM Wireless Filmmaker System (30k) wireless microphones on Amazon India.
Wired vs Wireless MicrophonesYou should look in to below things while trying to buy the wired microphone.
- They are very cheap
- Some microphones are suitable for only specific devices like laptop, smartphone or camera etc
- They are very expensive.
- These microphones need battery.
- There is a limit on a distance between sender and receiver.
- Popular wireless microphones – Saramonic UwMIC9 (19k) or Rode RODELINKFM FM Wireless Filmmaker System (30k)
- Digital voice recorders
Complex problems, Simple Solutions