Directory structure of Linux
In this section, we will see how the directory structure is organized in Linux operating system.
The important directories and their significance are given below.
- / – root directory
- /home/ – parent directory of users
- /etc – system configuration files are stored in this directory
- /bin – executable programs like ls, date, time, cat…
- /proc – stores the process related information
- /root – home directory for the root user
- /var – stores dynamic files and data
- /tmp – stores temporary data of system and users
- /opt – stores the files or data for optional or other installed programs on the system
Please note that apart from standard directories, you may have other directories in the tree based upon the distribution you are using.