Microphone is a transducer that converts the sound into electric signal via preamplifier. Electric signal is then converted into digital format and stored in various formats like .mp3, .wav etc There are many types of microphones out there in the market. External microphones are useful when recording videos in noisy places. Also when the subject is located too far from camera, we can use wireless microphone or even go for standalone voice recorders as well.
Microphones based on transducer type
There are different types of microphones based on transducer type as mentioned below.
Microphones based on directionality or polar pattern
There are different types of microphones based on polar pattern as mentioned below.
- Omnidirectional – This type of microphone is sensitive to sound coming from all directions
- Bi-Directional – This type of microphone is sensitive to sound coming from only 2 directions
- Shotgun – This type of microphone is sensitive to sound coming from 1 direction with narrow region
- Microphones based on connector type and use
There are different types of microphones based on connector type as mentioned below.
- XLR Connector - To use XLR microphone with 3.5mm jack, you will need to buy the adapter like XLR(mono) to 3.5mm Stereo Converter. You can buy XLR connector compatible microphones on Amazon India @ Samson R21 Dynamic Vocal Microphone. These microphones are generally used for live performance and recording.
- 3.5mm Jack microphone - used in laptops, DSLR Cameras, Smartphones. Some laptops have single jack for headphone and microphone. So you need to buy the 3.5mm M to F/F Audio Splitter. You can buy Rode VideoMicro Compact budget microphone for your DSLR Camera.
- USB Microphone - Used in laptops. Blue USB microphone is very popular. This works on both windows and Mac laptops.
- A lavalier microphone (It is also called as lav, lapel mic, clip mic, body mic, collar mic, neck mic) – You can buy Rode SmartLavPlus Lavalier Microphone for Smartphones. You can buy Boya Microphone which is compatible with laptop, phone and DSLR Cameras.
- Wireless (Radio) - You can buy Saramonic UwMIC9 or Rode RODELINKFM FM Wireless Filmmaker System wireless microphones on Amazon India.
Wired vs Wireless Microphones
Wired microphones are very cheap and suitable for only specific devices like laptop, smartphone or camera etc While wireless microphones are very expensive and These microphones need battery. Also There is a limit on a distance between sender and receiver. Popular wireless microphones – Saramonic UwMIC9 or Rode RODELINKFM FM Wireless Filmmaker System
Digital voice recorders
When the subject is too far from Camera, you need to record the audio and video separately. You can record the voice in seperate recording device by using Digital voice recorders. Wireless microphones can be used but they are very expensive. You can buy Zoom H1 digital recorder on Amazon You also need to buy the lapel microphone. Also note that sample rates of both audio and video should be in synch (normally 48 khz). I do not prefer recorders because you need to spend lot of time synching video with audio while editing the video especially if you have taken multiple shots. Some of the leading Microphone Manufacturers are https://www.rode.com/microphones/all, https://www.saramonicusa.com/ and https://www.boya-mic.com/